Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Awards Show Gala: Hockey Night in Vegas, Baby



By Spezzal Teams Playa

If Jay Mohr wasn't currently getting last-minute touch-ups on his makeup, I'd have time to make this a real post.

As it is, I just got home from a long day of surviving earthquakes and marvelling at the Thrashers ability to turn a UFA into Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager, and Aliu.

Anyway, since I like hockey more than Mohr, I think I'll just hit the Publish button and fasten my ass to the couch for a few hours of Oscar-calibre award presentations.

If I had had the time, I woulda made my picks for all of tonight's winners, but this list here will have to suffice.

[Update: 7:34 PM - Little, tiny aftershock .... if I lose power and miss one of Pavel Datsyuk's jokes, I will be one sad panda]



2 comments:

  1. Tie Domi winning the Calder was an absolute shocker. First,I thought he was ineligible because he is not longer a rookie. Second, he didn't play this past year.

    Seriously - why does the NHL parade "celebrities" that don't follow hockey for the awards show?

    http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=72792

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say for sure, but maybe it was supposed to a joke?

    I mean, Wahlberg is so serious that he makes Toews look like 1930's Daffy Duck. In his preamble before oprning the envelope he didn't even attempt a joke, so who knows.

    But I will give the fourth funniest (and second funkiest) member of the Funky Bunch credit for at least being a celebrity who doesn't require the "air quotes".

    He may have made for a worse presenter than the guy who may or may not "star" in Gossip Girl, but at least he was one of the recognizable faces on the broadcast.

    But wtf, Bettman? Why not hire Denis Leary?

    I mean, Jay Mohr is sweet and all, for taking his Mom to a game, but they coulda done better.

    ReplyDelete